Nearly two years ago (holy cow! two years?!), I started a book club with a few friends. There are five of us who are active in attending our monthly meetings, though not everyone can make it to every month's meeting. It's a really casual book club. We all suggest books to read and we make our decision usually by a majority vote or something. When we get together, we typically do so at a restaurant that someone suggests and we actually don't talk about the book for more than 10-15 minutes. We spend the rest of the time just catching up and enjoying each others company. It's pretty great.
I have been wanting to share the list of books that we have read so far, so I'm really excited to actually be doing it now (and I will link the books to amazon in case you feel inspired to buy one for your home library). We usually focus on classic works of literature, but sometimes something more recent makes it into the spotlight.
1. James & the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
2. Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen
3. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
5. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
6. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
7. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
8. My Antonia by Willa Cather
9. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
10. The House of Sleep by Jonathan Coe
11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
12. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
13. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
14. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
15. I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
16. The African Queen by C.S. Forester
17. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
18. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
19. Damned by Chuck Palahniuk
Currently, our selection is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. One of my favorites.
I need to confess that I did not like all of the books that we have chosen for book club. I was also surprised by how much I liked some that I never would have chosen for myself. It's nice to have suggestions from all of our club members so we can all try out different books that we may not have considered before. Books are awesome.